THERE'S NO SHORTCUT TO ANYWHERE WORTH GOING

Thursday, February 16, 2012

More than vanity

"I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body" Philippians 1:20

I would be lying if I said that I didn't, at times, feel a little ashamed over my passion for fitness and good nutrition. Sometimes it's my own doing and sometimes it's brought on by the judgements of others but, either way, it leaves me feeling icky inside. When I start to think about my real motivations for living the life I do, I quickly realize that what I am feeling ashamed about is just a tiny part of why I am living my life this way. It is brought on by our culture's view of figure competitors or anyone who has strict physical and nutritional discipline. "You're vain", "You're obsessed" are words that I hear most often and it certainly makes me feel better when I hear the quote, "Obsessed is a term lazy people use to describe the dedicated". Of course there is a balance to everything in life but I definitely think that, since I made the decision to commit myself to a clean diet and strict exercise regimen, my life (not just physically but also spiritually) has only improved.

Every day that I wake for my early morning workouts, it is my time alone. I clear my head and take time to listen to God's word and his wishes for me. This is time time of day that I can shut out the noise of the world and spend time focusing on what it is I'm really doing here. It's not about how long I run or how many stairs I climb. It's about ridding my body and mind of all the excess junk the world has to offer and honoring the gift that I have been given. My health, my family, my opportunities are all gifts from God and it's what I do with those gifts that honor or dishonor him.

I have never been clinically overweight but I have had struggles in my past with weight and nutritional issues as well as watched loved ones battle a lifetime with their obesity and I can certainly relate on a small level to those of us who really do struggle with health and self-esteem issues on a daily basis. It's extremely difficult to feel defeated and helpless about weight and health problems. It's not easy to wake up in the morning and already be exhausted and feel like your day is spent going through the motions. How would you like to wake up with vigor and meaning? How would you like to spend your day feeling powerful and useful? This is how I have felt every single day since the day I decided to commit to the health of my body and mind.

I invite each of you to really think about your current health situation. Are you filling your body with poison or are you honoring it with the fruits of God? There is no better time than now. I promise that there is absolutely no risk involved in cleaning up your life. What have you got to lose but stress, weight and shame?

Here's to hoping that some of you make the choice to live a clean life inside and out. Let's be kind and encourage one another instead of judging, afterall, you'd have to walk a mile in their shoes... and that person just might need that mile :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brittany - You said this so well and you are very inspiring! I'm a firm believer that you have to do what's right for you and if you have values, live them out don't just talk about them. You do that! :) Thanks for sharing your motivation.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an AWESOME post. It really made me think about what I am doing and what I should be doing. Thank you for the inspiration and motivation.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete