THERE'S NO SHORTCUT TO ANYWHERE WORTH GOING

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Starting out and Eating Clean

Here are some pics I took to track my progress.So, here I am starting 12 weeks out at 15% body fat.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Also, I wanted to share some of the great recipes that I am using to spice my diet up a bit. I have fed some of my meals to non-competitors and they think they're delicious so maybe you should give them a try :)


Healthy Crab Cakes- 8oz real cooked crab meat, 2 egg whites, 1/4c fat free mayo, 1/8c diced onions, 1/4c diced celery, 2tbsp. dijon mustard,1/4c oats,dill weed to taste, cayenne pepper to taste. Mix all ingredients together and form into patties. For myself, this makes two servings. I cook in a pan with lemon juice (no butter or oil) over medium heat until both sides are brown and the patty is relatively firm.

Photobucket

I have also made this same recipe using canned albacore in water. This tastes just as delicious and the tuna is much cheaper.

Pumpkin Protein Muffins- 2 cups liquid egg whites, 2 cups oats, 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin MIX), 1 scoop whey protein isolate in any flavor (i prefer vanilla with this recipe), cinnamon to taste (i put a ton in here), 1tbsp. vanilla extract, 1tsp. baking powder. I distribute evenly into a muffin pan and cook on 375 for 12 minutes.

I really enjoy Tosca Reno's clean eating cookbooks as a guide when I'm not pre-contest. Clean eating doesn't have to be bland and boring. It's just about finding healthy alternatives to your favorite meals and condiments. For example, greek yogurt as an alternative to sour cream.

http://www.eatcleandiet.com/

I hope that following along with me through these next few months will give you an idea of the ways that you can clean up your diet and clean up your life. When you start honoring your body in the way that you should, you get a whole new lease on life and a whole new feeling of power and self-worth.

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl - i'm following you and am proud of you -and although i'm feeling that all the clean eating and running isn't doing anything, it takes time. Thanks for your help!! Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan! Thanks for the encouragement :)
    It does take time to see real results. It's all about consistency. However, I'd be curious to see if you're eating the right portions and if you're exercising enough. Running is a great cardiovascular workout, however, weight loss comes much faster with an increased metabolism of which you get by increasing muscle mass (this doesn't neccesarily mean bulk). Resistance training is very important to changing your body. For each pound of muscle you put on, your body will burn another 250 calories a day at rest.

    ReplyDelete